Thursday, July 16, 2015

My Road to Healthy - Update #2

A few weeks ago I started on my quest to get fit and healthy. Tired of being embarrassed to wear a bathing suit or walk around in shorts, I decided to take up jogging. Typically I only run if something is chasing me, but even then I'm more likely to play opossum, roll over on my back and act dead.

Week two was still a struggle for me to get up when my alarm went off at 6:15 am, but I did it and felt so much better about myself for sticking with it.

Thursday evening of week two we drove to Melbourne to spend the 4th of July weekend with friends and family. Friday morning I didn't get up as I had hardly gotten any sleep due to my sister-in-law's dog and cat that had us up most of the night. They were out of town in the Keys so we were using their house in exchange for taking care of their pets. I can honestly say that will never happen again, but that a whole other story.

I got to spend July 4th with Kristen Mae, from 
Abandoning Pretense, and her awesome family.

Friday afternoon I was starting to feel really guilty for not getting my run in, so I threw on my jogging gear, laced up my sneakers and headed out the door. 

Thirty minutes later I came panting back into the driveway after having been chased by a tiny dog that jumped out of nowhere and being whistled and yelled at by a couple guys in a truck. Seriously? What the hell is that all about? I'm 99.9% certain that is not an effective way to pick someone up. 

"Oh hey baby! Circle back around. Sure I'm sweaty and disgusting and about to collapse from the Florida heat and humidity, but the way you hung your head out the truck and hollered really gets me in the mood..." said no one. Ever.

Anyway, I made it back to the house and jumped straight in the pool, only removing my sneakers. Then I got myself cleaned up and we headed out for dinner where I gorged myself on bar-b-que.

The following week, on Monday, I got up when my alarm went off and headed out the door. As I was jogging I felt a little twinge every now and then in my knees, but didn't think much of it. I soldiered through Week 2, Day 3 of the C25K app and felt stronger than I had previously.

Wednesday rolled around and I got up for Week 3, Day 1. This week was compromised of a brisk  minute warm up, two repetitions of 90 seconds of jogging, 90 second of walking, three minutes of jogging and three minutes of walking, and a five minute cool down. 

As I started my first bout of jogging I had stabbing pains in my knees, like someone was prodding me with a hot poker. It seemed to wear off as I went on so I kept going, pushing through it. The whole rest of the day I was feeling it. I iced my knees but kept on with my life as though nothing was wrong. 

Little bird and her eggs that I 
check on during my jogs.

Friday morning, when I should have gone out again, I slept in and made breakfast for my best friend and her family who were staying with us. I had decided I was going to give my knees an extra day of rest and go out on Saturday instead. So, Saturday afternoon, after my friends had left, I went over to my parent's house to use the treadmill. 

I got through my brisk five minute warm up and as soon as I started jogging I was hit with fire in my knees again. Determined not to give up, I pushed through the pain of the workout and made myself finish. I would be damned if I was going to quit now after three weeks of getting myself up and out there.

Big mistake.

When your body feels pain like that you should really listed to it and back off. The rest of the day was spent on the couch, moving as little as possible and icing my knees. From research I have done on where the pain is, it would appear I have tendinitis of the knee. Both knees, actually. 

So now I have to rest my knees as much as possible and put the C25K app on the shelf until they are healed. 

Man, am I pissed. 

I have literally been forcing myself to get into the habit of waking up early and jogging, in an effort to do something good for me, and this is how my body repays me.

So I will be swimming and doing yoga until my knees feel better, and then I will start it up again, and hope for the best. 

In the three short weeks that I was jogging, I really started to feel better about myself. I was starting to feel stronger, not knowing my body was planning a rebellion against me.

I hate to think of the setback this will cause, but I am assured by those who are runners that my body will remember quickly and it won't be as bad as I think.

I was noticing on the days I was jogging that my anxiety was so much less noticeable. I also felt as though I had more self confidence. I'm sad to report that the pain doesn't seem to be easing up. My knees are OK when I wake up in the morning, but as the day wears on, the pain gets worse. I don't exactly have the luxury of sitting around elevating my legs all day being that I have a gaggle of kids to take care of.

I will try not to let this get me down and will try to find peace in my yoga and swimming and give my body time to heal.

I may not be able to run, but I am not giving up on a healthier, happier me.


  1. Oh dear. I haven't been able to run for years because of my knees. Good for you not giving up!

    1. Thanks...I'm really hoping mine improve and that I can get back on track again!

  2. So sorry for your setback! I completely understand where you are coming from, having had foot surgery & multiple other injuries over the last year+ that have sidelined my fitness, and thus my mental health.

    Hoping your knees improve & the other activity will help keep you in balance until you can lace up your jogging shoes!

    1. Sorry to hear you had to have surgery! Hope you're healing well! It is so disheartening when we get setbacks like that, isn't it??

  3. I had something similar happen. Had always hated running or jogging but started when I wanted to quit smoking & lose (finally) my baby weight. I ended up with a severe, almost perfectly horizontal & almost undetectable stress fracture in my ankle. It took over a year to finally feel secure that my ankle wouldn't snap at any given moment. Good luck to you!

    1. Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that happened to you! It's been over a week since I started noticing the pain and so far nothing seems to be improving... :(