Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Valentine's Day...A Four Letter Word to Some

Valentine's Day...it may as well be a four letter word to some. There are plenty of people out there who hate everything the day stands for. But guess what, there are some of us who actually still enjoy it and are, quite frankly, a little tired of all the "boycott Valentine's Day" posts, comments and opinions. No one is saying you have to like the day, or celebrate it, and of course, everyone has a right to voice their thoughts, but maybe all the hate is just as annoying to those of us who like it as the holiday itself is to those of you who don't.


St. Valentine of Rome was said to have been imprisoned for marrying for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians, who were persecuted under the Roman Empire. Some say he healed his jailor's daughter and left her a farewell letter signed "Your Valentine". Apparently the day was first associated with love back in the high middle ages when courtly love began to flourish. The tradition of giving flowers, confections and gifts began in 18-century England as an expression of affection between lovers.

Today, as with every major holiday, it has become a mass-produced, overly commercialized event where handwritten love letters have been replaced with pre-made cards and expectations of gifts, candies and flowers. While I have told my husband that I don't want flowers on February 14th due to the jacked up prices (he can get them for my birthday three days later), I have to admit I like Valentine's Day.

Do I think that should be the only day your loved one shows you they love you? Of course not. Do I think a person should do something special for someone because they feel forced? Absolutely not. Do I like getting a thoughtful card, some chocolates or maybe a little jewelry? Hell yes I do! Would I love to be taken out for a romantic dinner, just the hubs and I? You bet your arse I would. We don't get much time to ourselves and I'm a girly-girl and I like to be spoiled from time-to-time.

To everyone who says they don't do Valentine's Day because it is expected, or forced, do you also not do Christmas presents because they are "expected"? What about Easter baskets or egg hunts? Both of those are also totally over commercialized as well but I don't see anyone not celebrating those holidays because of that.

Listen, I get that Valentine's Day can suck if you are single, newly divorced, whatever. I know, I have been there. Seeing pictures of the romantic dinners and gifts plastered all over Facebook can get old. But should those who have significant others not get to celebrate just because some people don't have someone to celebrate with? Don't like the posts? There is this wonderful feature where you can actually hide posts, or even unfollow that nauseatingly over the top friend who won't shut up about it.

Luckily I have a husband who appreciates me and loves me every day of the year. Is our relationship perfect? Nope, it sure isn't. But even through the ups and downs, at the end of the day, we are lucky to have a relationship where we respect and appreciate each other without having to say it all the time. To me there is something special, overly-commercialized or not, about being remembered on Valentine's Day. I like that he took time out of his busy schedule to do something for me. I don't care if it is on the same day everyone else is doing it because it isn't about everyone else. It is about me and him and what we do for each other to make it special.

A romantic gesture isn't necessarily dinner at the most expensive restaurant in town and $300 earrings (not that I would turn my nose up at that). It could be a sentimental card, a little love note left on my bathroom mirror or in his lunchbox, his favorite chocolate bar or him running me a bath and letting me relax for thirty minutes (even better if he is with me).

If you don't want to do Valentine's Day, that's totally fine. But to all the haters who try to make people feel bad, or pathetic for buying into the day, would you stop, please? I promise I won't (overly) gush about my love for the holiday if you promise not to bash me for loving it.


4 comments:

  1. I fine either way! But who wouldn't love the seasonal treats you can find during this month of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a fan of any excuse for treats! ;)

      Delete