Friday, October 3, 2014

Secret Subject Swap - Dreams


Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week, 14 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.


Secret Subject Swap

The subject I was given is: "Describe one of your strangest dreams and find a life lesson out of the hogwash." It was submitted by: http://www.crumpetsandbollocks.com

dream 

noun, often attributive \ˈdrēm\
: a series of thoughts, visions, or feelings that happen during sleep

When I first read my topic for this month's Secret Subject Swap, I was all: "Say what? This is hard! How the heck am I going to narrow it down to one of my whacked out dreams?" So I'm not going to limit it to one, I'm going to tell you about four weird-ass dreams I have had.

I've had many strange dreams during the course of my life. Some of them include: not being able to get bubble gum out of my mouth; the feeling that I'm falling; being chased and I can't scream; pushing a baby around in a stroller in heavy traffic. I decided I would tackle finding out what each of those dreams represents and maybe learn a little about myself along the way.

The bubble gum dream is 
a reoccurring dream I have had since high school. In this dream, I am chewing gum and decide I don't want any more. I try to take it out of my mouth but I can't get it all. It gets stuck around my teeth and I feel like I'm pulling strings of it from the back of my throat, strands of Big League Chew. Not matter how much I pull, it just keeps coming. I start getting panicky, like I can't breathe, and I eventually wake up. I never get all the gum out. 



When I was looking into what this could mean, I came across this description: "Dreaming of chewing gum that grows out of proportion and even though you take it out, it still continues to happen, can be seen as you having to censor your words. The act of chewing can relate to your attempt to say things in a way where others can swallow them (accept them). Yet, the gum grows and that signifies that there are many things unsaid (that are getting out of proportion). The gum being in your mouth and increasing in size can also signify an obstruction that you're dealing with. Since we eat and talk with our mouths, the obstruction can relate to you expressing yourself freely as well as your livelihood being threatened (food is sustenance and if your mouth is filled with gum, you can't take in food)."

This makes a lot of sense to me. I have never been confrontational, in fact, if anything I have been more of a people pleaser. I find it easier to go with the flow than to try and fight the current. I have been somewhat hesitant to be open and honest with regards to my childhood and some of the things I remember. I would rather skirt around the issues and pretend they didn't happen than risk the wrath of the people they involved. The part about censoring my words and not expressing myself freely makes total sense here. I suppose, if I want to stop having dreams that I'm choking on gum, I should confront the issues that I've been suppressing all these years. (Easier said than done.)


Another dream I have had more than once is the dream that I am falling. In one article I read, the falling dream means that "something in your life — finances, a relationship, career, etc. — is rapidly going in the wrong direction. It means it is time to redirect the situation immediately! Falling dreams are also common for people who suffer from depression." Suddenly it is all becoming so clear! My life always seems to be disorderly in one way or another; finances are constantly up and down and I've certainly had my fair share of screwy relationships! I also come from a family with a history of depression and battle with it myself. I can definitely see how that out of control feeling of falling and helplessness goes hand-in-hand with things that may be seem unmanageable in my life. Lesson learned: get my shit together.




The third dream I looked into is one where I'm being chased and, no matter how hard I try, I can not scream. My mouth is open and I am screaming as loud as possible, only it comes out as more of a whisper, or like I have a cold and lost my voice. According to what I read, "feelings like anxiety, anger, hatred and jealousy could trigger chase dreams. In essence you are running away rather than confronting an issue...You are trying to avoid an unpleasant situation, something that you are not ready to confront..." and dreams where you scream but no sound comes out may be a sign that "you are unable to speak up and defend yourself in this particular waking life situation." 



I suffer from anxiety and I know there have been times when I have been angry, jealous or felt hatred for one reason or another. I can't pinpoint exactly what triggered this dream, it seems like it could be anything. Not being able to scream really makes sense with how it ties into my inability to speak up about things. If I could just figure out what it is that I should be speaking up about. (Maybe it's that childhood stuff again.)

The final dream I researched I have only had once and I remember exactly when I had it, unlike the others. I dreamt I was walking down a busy street, pushing a baby in a stroller. Traffic zooming past me, left and right. No matter where I turned, I couldn't get out of it. This article states that "babies can symbolize a literal desire to produce offspring, or your own vulnerability or need to feel loved. They can also signify a new start." At the time I had this dream I had just met the man who would later become my first husband and father to two of my children. We hadn't known each other long but we were already talking about me moving from Tallahassee to Jacksonville to be with him (new beginning). 



I had recently broken up with a boyfriend who went all psycho on me at the end. We had gotten pregnant and we made the heart wrenching decision that a baby wasn't right for either of us at that point in our lives. After that, he became incredibly clingy and I felt like I couldn't breath. I was struggling myself, mourning our decision and riding a wretched wave of guilt and regret. When I broke it off with him he would leave horrible, hurtful messages on my home phone and I would end up having to turn my cell phone off because he wouldn't stop calling it. It was a tough time for both of us but the hurtful things he said really left me feeling totally unloved and vulnerable. I believe the baby dream represented a combination of the new start that had presented itself to me, the desire I had within to have a baby with the right person and at the right time, and also wanting to feel loved after being so badly hurt.

What did I learn from all this? I need to be more outspoken and stand up for myself and things I believe in. I need to take control of my life, be it finances, relationships or my depression and anxiety and not allow myself to be intimidated into keeping quiet. 

Should be easy enough...


Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts. Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

15 comments:

  1. WOW!!! So interesting!! I need to look up some of my recurring and crazy dreams! I have several of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really pretty interesting! Especially if you can relate them to a specific time in your life.

      Delete
  2. So much insight from these dreams, I need to start paying more attention to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amaIng what insight one can get from looking into their dreams.

      Delete
  3. I love hearing about other people's dreams probably because I'm so fond of analyzing my own. The craziest one I think I ever had involved my dad. It was a recurring dream where I was basically in a video game environment (that wasn't pixelated, damn it) and he was the final boss. Things would often differ in the types of levels I had to go through but invariably there would always be a zombie pit that I would have to fight my way through just before getting to his house (my childhood home) to do the final battle. I stopped having it when he died so I know it had to do with all the things that I'd never resolved because of my messed up childhood.

    Also, just because I personally know how hard it is to decide that a pregnancy is not right at the time and how that decision never really leaves you and is so hard to talk about.... here's a huge virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Giant virtual hug headed your way too!

      That is a crazy dream you used to have. It amazes me how much our dreams relate to something in our life at the time. Often it isn't exact what it appears to be either!

      Delete
  4. Wow. Way to confront all those dreams/issues. I'd love to know the meanings of my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should look them up sometime, it really is interesting!

      Delete
  5. You did great with this post, from explaining and researching the dreams to declaring that you deserve to say what is on your mind and stand up for yourself.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I just need to take my own advice! ;-)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You tackled this head on! Wow. I learned a lot too! My favorite part is you claiming your right to say what you want to say and stand up for yourself!!! You.Got.This!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the Crumpets and Bollocks person. I'm so sorry I'm just getting around to reading all the Secret Subject Posts, a week late. But I'm glad I finally got to it. I love this post. I hope I can keep my comment down to reasonable size with it. You have my brain going 10 million different directions.

    I too have the gum dream. I really don't think about it enough to look it up, but I do get it, recurring, and I can't stand it. It's the most awful feeling, having all this gum you can't get out. I even stopped chewing gum in my waking life just because of those dreams. The other one similar to it I get frequently, I dream a lot that I'm losing my teeth. After reading the meaning behind the gum dream, I bet the teeth dream is related...

    I also dream a lot of falling, and i too have the same issues you speak of in real life. I also usually dream anymore where I fall and rise. Like I fall upwards, and i can fall downwards, and I fly and all this stuff. I'm becoming addicted to it because I love it. It's like swimming without the water and much faster. But some will say that, in theory, many of us when we sleep and dream, our spirit sometimes leaves the body and returns, and the falling is the spirit returning and just having a bad landing with it. I don't know how true that is, but I can totally dig it as a possibility.

    I think you did a fabulous job analyzing your dreams. Props to you. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for reading! I like the spirit idea you talk about, I have never heard that before!

      Delete