Sunday, September 21, 2014

Blogity-Blog Tour

When the lovely It's Why You Like Me was looking for volunteers to join in on this little blog tour she was taking, I thought: "why not? I mean, it's not like I have 5 kids, 2 dogs and a husband to take care of. I could use a little more to fill my day."

So, here we are. The idea is to give you a peek into my home, family and projects and then answer four questions about my blog/blogging process. Here goes nothing...

My husband and I each brought two children into the marriage and had one together. We have 10-year-old twin girls, a 9-year-old girl, and 8-year-old boy and a 19-month-old girl. We were both married before, I affectionately refer to them as our "practice marriages". I look at it kind of like writing. There is always a rough draft to every story, our previous marriages were our rough drafts. Hubs and I met at work. His brother was my boss, though I didn't realize that when we met initially, but that a whole other blog post.

What projects do I have going on right now? Well, other than running kids around between school, Tae Kwon Do, Soccer and Girl Scouts, I am doing some work as Project Manager for a friend's website design company. It is only a few hours a week right now but the hope is that that will continue to increase as time goes on.

I am trying to get my Jamberry Nails business off the ground which consists of trying to network and sucker people into get people to host in-home and Facebook parties. (In all seriousness I absolutely love Jamberry wraps. They are totally fun and affordable and I don't have to wait for my nails to dry while trying to wrangle five kids!)

A few of my JAMicures. Bottom right picture 
is of my three daughters' hands.

Hubs and I are also in the process of trying to paint the inside of our house. I tackled the kid/guest bathroom a couple of weeks ago and hubs is painting the kitchen as we speak.

This is the bathroom, obviously from the toilet.
We changed it from a light pee-yellow to Chinese Jade.

This is a corner of the kitchen leading into the dining room. We're
changing it from "light pee-yellow" to SilkyWhite. On the left is
the remnants of some artwork my daughter left for me when she
was about three-years-old. I'm sort of sad it is gone.

I am also planning a baby shower for a friend of mine next month. (This has somewhat fast-tracked the urgency of painting the inside of our house.) It is my first time planning a baby shower and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm in the process of making a diaper cake - another first for me.

Obviously I still have quite a way to go with this
but you can see where its headed. Hopefully.

Now on to the blog-specific questions.

1) What am I working on?

I'm glad you asked. Currently I am working on myself and I'm trying to get back into the swing of blogging. I took roughly four months off as I was struggling with some personal issues. Namely anxiety. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown for a while there, and questioned my sanity. More than usual. I disconnected from social media and my blog and tried to focus on me. This included spending time with my therapist (who helped me through the end of my practice marriage) as well as the help from some anti-anxiety meds. I'm happy to report things are better, though not back to "normal". I honestly couldn't have done it without the support of my hubs.

2) How does my work differ from those in my genre?

I have a genre? I guess I'm considered a "mommy blogger" as most of what I write about, or Facebook about, involves my kids, or kids in general. Sometimes I write about more peronal things, like the time I got my first Brazilian bikini wax. I'm not really sure how much my work differs from other mommy bloggers, except that I am no professional writer. I don't write for money, I have no aspirations of becoming the next big thing or writing a best seller. I write to get shit off my chest. I write because I enjoy it. I was not an English major, in fact, I didn't even graduate from college. I think I have a pretty good handle on the basics of grammar and the English language as a whole, but I'm far from perfect. I'm long winded, I use cliches and I put commas and hyphens in all the wrong places. But that's okay. I have never claimed to be a great writer, I'm just someone who writes. A lot of the other bloggers I know have dreams of being published. While that would be amazeballs, it isn't on my bucket list.

3) Why do I write/create what I do?

As I mentioned above, I write as an outlet, a way to vent or to share.

4) How does my writing creative process work?

I don't have a process, per se. Something pops into my mind or up on my newsfeed and inspires me to write about it. It could be anything from why I think color coordinated Easter egg hunts are ridiculous  to my family's experience with lice. I take out my iPad mini or sit at the computer and I start to type. Sometimes I can bang something out in less than a day, sometimes I go back to it for weeks. If I try to force something, it doesn't work. My topic has to be either something that inspires me in some way or a prompt, like More than Cheese and Beer's Sunday Confessions. I wish I could tell you I have some highly ritualistic process, but I can't.

So there you have it. Pretty freaking interesting, I know you are all riveted to learn these great details about me. Now let me introduce you to two other lovely ladies who graciously volunteered to keep this blog tour going.


First up is Samantha Rodman, aka Dr. Psych Mom. When she isn't running races or taking care of her three kids under 5, She blogs at Dr. Psych Mom about psychology, parenting, relationships, sex, and sometimes, The Bachelor. She invites you to write in with your questions about relationships or parenting, and also to apply for her Functional Couple Fridays, where she e-interviews regular couples making marriage work (http://www.drpsychmom.com/submit/). Follow her on Facebook and Twitter at @DrPsychMom.



Three interesting facts about Dr. Psych Mom:

1) I was the 7th best speller in the US in 6th grade.

2) I went to the same highschool as Marisa Tomei and the same college as Julia Stiles. (That's pretty cool!)

3) My favorite state is Nebraska and I've visited it twice.


My second victim volunteer is the lovely Karen from One Valium at a Time. Karen blogs about life's highs & lows as they come; one at a time (or 5mg at a time, whatever works). She's also been spotted hanging around at places such as Facebook and Twitter.



                        


Three interesting fact about Karen:

1) I have three grown children and three grandchildren, two of which I'm raising. It's complicated and exhausting, but that's what family's do. We pick up the messes our children leave behind...I mean love and care for one another, right? "Round Two", ding, ding, ding! (Wow, you have your hands full! Your kids are lucky to have you!)

2) I'm a Registered Nurse. I've cared for the elder to newborns and every age in between. My first love is Neonatal Intensive Care, but after many years and several hospitals (aka...can't keep a job); I even did travel nursing for a year, I'm now working for a Home Care Agency caring for chronically ill children.

3) I was in an abusive relationship for 15 years. It ended 20 years ago in divorce. It ended again a year ago in death. His passing threw me into full blown PTSD. That's when I started blogging, to empty my head of all the ugliness I held in for so long.

So there you have it. Make sure you stop by Samantha and Karen's blogs and social media sites to show them some love.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the tour!!! Four of your kids are around the same age as my nine year old son. I don't think I could handle four. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cringed just a little seeing my picture, but cool being shared.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! Your picture is great! But I know what you mean, I feel the same way when I see my picture!

      Delete