Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Until the Dog Barks and Wakes Up the Baby

I have to be honest when I say I'm not really sure why I am writing this blog. Maybe because all the cool kids are doing it? I am not a professional writer. I don't have any aspirations of writing a book. I do, however, often find myself in situations thinking; "If only I wrote a blog, I could share this hilarious train wreck that my life can sometimes be with others."

Maybe by writing this blog I'll connect with others parents out there who also have moments of complete breakdowns and screaming fits with their kids. Maybe I'm not the only one who forgets to plan dinner, do laundry, feed the dogs. Maybe I'm not the only one who posts only the adorable, happy family pictures on Facebook and Instagram and not the ones of me un-showered with spit-up stained clothes and greasy hair, or the kids arguing and yelling at each other over what toy car or Barbie doll they had first. Maybe I'm not the only one who gets more cleaning done the day I know I have company coming than the whole rest of the year. Maybe I'm not the only one who wishes my 6 and 8 year olds took three hour naps like they did when they were 2. Maybe I'm not the only one who drops the f-bomb when the dog barks and wakes up the baby. Maybe I'm not the only one who lives for the days where I can go to the store by myself. Heck, I sometimes think I would opt for a root canal just to get away for a couple of hours.


Then there are those "Ahhhhh" moments. You know, when the baby smiles at me or giggles for the first time. When the 6 year old brings home a card he made for me at school for no other reason than to tell me he loves me. When the 8 year old snuggles up to me and tells me I'm the best mom she's ever had. When the twins ask me to sing to them at bedtime. Those are the moments I live for. All the disapproving looks from strangers when I walk in somewhere with my 5 children, the failed Pinterest craft attempts, the guilt over the fact that I don't make my bed unless I've just washed the sheets...they all slowly fade away and all is right with the world...until the dog barks and wakes up the baby.

5 comments:

  1. This was a PERFECT first post, AM. Just PERFECT. I can't wait to hear all your Brady Bunch stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! Phew...that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! Now I just need to figure out a way to keep the kids out of my hair so I can write more!

      Delete
  2. Oh - I love it!!! LOVE! :) I do ALL of those things!!! Not making the bed - ha!!! Changing the sheets needs to happen in order for me to actually make a neat bed. Most of the time, I just throw the comforter over. Ugh - I have to change the kids' beds...like NOW! I have said that every day for the past 5 days. Tomorrow...I will do it. ;)
    Lot of love being sent your way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soo much! Your support really means a lot! Hopefully I can keep it up!

      Delete
  3. What is this making the bed thing of which you speak?
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete